< link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://trappedcivilservant.blogspot.com" > Aginoth's Retirement Ramblings: Exubera

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Exubera

So there I was driving home thinking "I know what I'm going to blog about this evening...."

And what do I find? Mrs.A has beaten me to it...Diabetes Inhaler rejected for Prescription in UK on Grounds of Cost to NHS She has covered it here. But I'm going to do a bit on it too anyway

Exubera for Type 1 and 2 diabetes costs on average £1,100 per person per year but patients would still need injections at night. The inhaled insulin is the first non-injected option for insulin therapy since the discovery of the treatment for diabetes in the 1920s. Currently About 800,000 people in the UK manage their condition with daily injections of which about 100000 are type 1 (Don't produce Insulin) the rest Type 2 (produce insulin but their bodies use it inefficiently)

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic, I inject 4 times a day. The current cost of my insulin prescription to the NHS is approximately £1100 by complete coincidence. Of this about £600 is my daytime insulin (3 shots), £400 is my Night time dose (1 shot) and the rest is the cost of the needles.

For many of us injections are although necessary only done because it's that or die slowly, I myself was very needle phobic before I had to start injecting, and still occasionally have problems despite having been shooting up insulin 4 times a day for over 6 years now, I still hate to be injected by anyone else. I would love to have the inhaled insulin.

Think about it...that's 4 injections a day...28 injections a week...1456 times a year, for the rest of my life. And that doesn't include the extra innoculations, regular bloodtests, blood glucose testing. Sometimes I feel like a bloody pincushion and I really would like not to.

For the sake of £8 Million Pounds, No that's not right....actually £3-4 Million Pounds more than what is now being spent, the lives of 800,000 people could be improved. What is £3-4 Million pounds to the NHS that last year had a budget of over £69 BILLION.

Perhaps they could sack a few hundred unecessary managers to fund it? Did you know that despite spending increases of 12% on the NHS last year the actual increas in money spent on Medical care Doctors and Nurses only went up by 2.4%, something isn't right there.

2 Comments:

Blogger craziequeen said...

The NHS is now expert at throwing money away.....at least the new 'administrative management level' is.....

Sorry, honey.....

cq

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 10:17:00 pm  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is outrageous. Is there anything that you and your fellow Diabetics can do to help get this changed? I know I sound naive, but sometimes there really is strength in numbers. It is shocking to read these statistics in terms of the costs and how much money they have available. I'm so very sorry you have to go throuh this, Mr . A., AND your Psoriasis Medicines, too.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home