< link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://trappedcivilservant.blogspot.com" > Aginoth's Retirement Ramblings: V For Vendetta

Saturday, March 25, 2006

V For Vendetta



Went to see V for Vendetta tonight. both me and Mrs.A are fans of the Source Material, a set of comics from the early 1980's which were eventually bound together in a Graphic Novel; by Alan Moore and David Lloyd.

It's been sympathetically filmed with an eye to those who know the material. An intelligent film set in a totalitarian England of the future whilst the USA undergoes a 2nd Civil War in the background. Starring Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman (who both give strong performances) and many notable others such as Stephen Fry and John Hurt (in an excellent juxtaposition of his earlier work as Smith in 1984). Plenty of acute references to the current politcal situation in the USA, UK and the middle East and some clever jibes aimed at the current British and American administrations, bring closer to home the point of this film as stated in the dialogue...

People should not be afraid of their Governments...Governments should be afraid of the People.

I'll be interested to see just how this film is received in the US, and whether any cuts will be made to tone down the political messages it contains.

Go see it...one of the best films I have seen in a very long time.


10 Comments:

Blogger CyberKitten said...

It's interesting to hear/see that you liked it after knowing the source material so well. I for one have never read the graphic novel (nor in fact ANY graphic novels) and thought the film very good indeed. Good to see that it was a fair adaptation of the original.

I've read at least one US Blog review who thought it was superb too. Check it out:

http://goodtobeblue.blogspot.com/2006/03/v-for-vendetta.html

Sunday, March 26, 2006 10:58:00 am  
Blogger craziequeen said...

I am really glad you liked it, honey.... :-))

I do like Hugo ever so much - I just couldn't cope with the mask.

cq

Sunday, March 26, 2006 11:04:00 am  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

So happy you are out and about, Mr. A. I'm interested in this film because of all that you said and so far I haven't read anything here in our 'trade papers' about anything being cut...time will tell I guess.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:28:00 pm  
Blogger CyberKitten said...

I've just found V's speech on meeting Evey. I wonder if Hugo Weaving did it in one take:

In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Very clever & frankly hilarious!

Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:46:00 pm  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

I think it's almost verbatum (ha ha) from the original - i'll have to go check later:-)

Sunday, March 26, 2006 10:04:00 pm  
Blogger CyberKitten said...

Mrs A said: almost verbatum (ha ha)

[rotflmao]

It WAS a great speach!

Sunday, March 26, 2006 11:04:00 pm  
Blogger MuppetLord said...

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Great film.

Monday, March 27, 2006 5:38:00 pm  
Blogger CyberKitten said...

convict said: Bet the French government's a bit scared of its People at the moment.

Oh, I think they always have been...... [grin]

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:06:00 pm  
Blogger David Edward said...

glad you are home. good Lord, man you have been throughit,haven't you?!!!!
wishing you better days ahead

Saturday, April 01, 2006 1:38:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I stumbled in here searching for an image of "V".

A little late to the party but....
I thought V was great. Unfortunately I think any insight into the nature of oppressive regimes will be lost on most Americans. We are very quick to point our finger around the world and scream "Tyrant!" as our constitution is used for butt wipe and our CIA is fitted for matching leather trench coats and jack boots.

I wish you the best with your psoriasis. I also have psoriasis but after seeing your pictures I realize my infliction is only a mere annoyance. My heart goes out to you. Best of luck.

Lee

Thursday, November 30, 2006 4:36:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home